Pages

Wednesday 6 February 2008

My Spongey Valentine


My co-workers - bless them - gave me a gift today. It was this - The Valentine's Grow Your Own Boyfriend Sponge Man. This they stapled to a copy of my Chinese Horoscope for the year. They highlighted a portion of the horoscope. - "You are likely to find a new romantic interest, but try to take things slowly to avoid any dissappointments in love - especially if you are not single!" Do you think they're trying to tell me something? My "favorite" (note the sarcasm) holiday is coming up. Not that I'm bitter or anything, I'm fine with it, but I honestly have never had a good Valentine's day - ever. I think what makes it worse than anything is the pressure everybody puts on you. My girlfriends are already asking me - what are you doing on Valentine's? I'm all - well, likely nothing I guess - probably sit at home. Why does everybody seem to think it necessary to have "someone" at Valentine's day? Why can't we all go back to Elementary school where we gave out little bits of paper - remembering everybody and not leaving anyone out so that everybody felt included. I'm all for getting little bits of paper in my home-made heart-shaped envelope. I'm not saying I don't appreciate the gift from my friends at work, in fact I do. It was awfully thoughtful of them. They are some of the best women in the whole world, and they have sincere concern for me and my "dating" welfare. I just wish life (and dating) were simpler. Why does everybody have to make it such a big deal? Why can't we all just go and hang out, and make friends and see if we get along enough to want to spend more time together? It really is as simple as that you know.

No comments: