Sunday, 3 February 2008

Life is what happens when you're making other plans

Why is it - that everything one has to do to catch up with life is always planned to be done on one day? Granted, most people get their stuff done on 2 days - Saturday and Sunday. But, for me - Sunday is a day of rest, so I only have Saturday. So, today I had everything planned out to be done today, but before I even woke up, my day was pretty much planned for me - as my Dad woke me up saying - "Becky, I need to go to the Emergency room". He was having massive pain in his lower abdomen due to the events from earlier in the week - Tuesday I took him to get his 16mm kidney stone lithotripsied. So, there's little bits. (in this case - a chunky bit) that have been passing all week. It turns out, this bit is stuck in his Ureter. I used to work on the Urology unit, and I've seen probably 100 of these situations, but have never been on the other side you know? For us on the unit, it was no big deal - another Renal Colic. Especially when we were dealing with more serious cases of Cancer in various Urological parts and removal of said parts. So, anyway, being on the other side - the family side - of a Renal Colic is not as easy as they make it look. So, took Dad (and also checked Mum in for her chest pain due to last week's accident) and, decided that they were in good hands and therefore, went to do (at least some) of the things I had planned. Vitally important for me - was the oil change. So, dropped off the car, waited, very impatiently, and wandered around Chapters for a while not finding any books that I wanted because I was thoroughly distracted. I mean, usually, I can spend a couple of hours in there easy and find lots of books to covet, but I just wanted to get things done and move on and get back to my parents in pain at the hospital. There were other things I wanted to get done, but didn't really get to them. I'm supposed to be going to a party for a friend - turned 30 earlier in the week, and wasn't going to go after my mad day, but, after talking to her husband and being severely guilt tripped into it. (you know who you are :-), I have decided that I'm going to go. So, once my laundrey is switched over so that I have sheets to sleep on tonight, I'm going straight there, and that is about... now. Bye.

*AMENDMENT*: So after going to my friend's party that her husband guilted me into going to, I've discovered that I'm actually really glad and grateful that I did go. It was a lot of fun, and I got to catch up with some friends that I haven't seen in forever. Even if I did get hit in the face with a Soccer ball, and I had to drive all the way out to High River to go, I'm really glad. (actually, the highway driving was really therapeutic after today's chaos) So there you have it. Go to parties, even if you're too tired, and don't feel like it. You won't regret it. (hopefully)

No comments: