Pages

Sunday 17 February 2008

Lessons from the Primary Kids

So, there I was in Primary (church for the young 'uns) today with my class, and this kid behind me starts telling all the girls that they're pretty. They all blush, and giggle, and scooch a little farther away from him. I'm laughing and thinking - that's one smart kid. He then started goofing off and told his buddy, the hot-headed one with the red hair that he was pretty and cute. LOL!!! I was killing myself at this point. The red-headed kid was not so much laughing, but freaked out and actually acted out violently against the cute kid with the free-wheeling compliments. Now, what does this say about us as a society in general when even at a young age of 9 or 10, it's instilled in kids to hate someone (even though buddy was joking around) just because they say that they think someone's cute who's the same sex as you. Heck, girls do it all the time (not in a lesbian way), I can't go anywhere without one of my girlfriends saying "oh, you look pretty today" or "you look really good Becky". This is behavior we've adopted from a young age. But, when a guy says to another guy (even though the kid was joking) that they're looking alright, it's considered unmanly and they are shunned for it, or labled as a homosexual. Like it or not, there are many people in our society who have chosen to live the homosexual lifestyle, and whether or not you agree with that, you must be tolerant and respect them for who they are. I myself, being a very religious person am not in agreement with the HS lifestyle, but, I absolutely love and adore my friends who have chosen to swing that way. I have plenty of friends who are gay, and love each one of them for who they are. They know how I feel about it, but also know that it doesn't change the way I feel about them. Anyway, pretty sad when kids this young are already violently reacting to any sort of reference (even a joke) about it. I suppose it is in the nature of the natural man to hate like that. The whole purpose of coming to earth is to overcome the natural man, and to become a spiritual being so that we can become more like God. That includes being tolerant and loving to ALL your brothers and sisters whether or not you agree with them.

No comments: