Pages

Thursday 23 October 2008

I Took Some Pictures For You

I've had a few of these pics sitting on my cell phone waiting to be shared via blog for a while. Sometimes I do that, I'll see something and think - oh, I can share that with my bloggies. Haha, so then I take a picture of it thinking I'll share it later, and get busy doing other things, thinking of other things... life takes over and I forget the wee pictures sitting on my cell phone. So, here's a few...

The girls and I went to check out (yet another) restaurant that was this time a recommendation by my friend who actually resides in Scotland. That Jonas has connections everywhere it seems. ;-) It's a Hungarian restaurant called "Jonas Restaurant" down on 6th avenue. It was really good. We each between us had the Chicken Paprikash or the Cabbage Rolls. I admit, I had never had Hungarian, and it was quite a nice surprise. I did notice a lot of men in the restaurant. Girls, if you're looking for where the men go for lunch downtown - this is it. Go, and order the cabbage rolls, I heard they were fantastic, as I had the Chicken Paprikash - which was also good, but evidently not as fantastic as the Cabbage Rolls. Haha.



The Chicken Paprikash



The Cabbage Rolls - mmm

Next picture is totally random. It's proof that Fidela actually has the capability to make an imperfect Lumpia. Anyone who knows Fidela knows her Lumpia are always immaculate. However, in Fidela fashion, this one tasted just as good, in fact better for it's imperfections. Yes - it was the best Lumpia I ever had. How I will miss my Filipina Mummy. She better come and visit me in Scotland...



The next I may get in trouble for, and will definitely hear about tomorrow. Heehee. Linda - here's proof of the culprits who decorated your brand new workstation...



Alright, I admit, I was responsible for the severed hand on your mouse. That was me.

Next I have a picture of the Crave Cupcake I finally had an opportunity to try - guilt free. Haha. You know, I've heard about these Crave Cupcakes from absolutely everybody. They're just down the street from my work, and so I thought - why not give it a try. So, $3.10 later :-$ I enjoyed the "Dirty Blonde" cupcake. Yes, they all have names. Apparently they're the Bernard Callebaut of cupcakes. It was pretty good, I admit. I mean - the icing was VERY chocolately and smooth, and the cake part was good and smooth and tasty. So, for a woman who's had her ups and downs this week, it was welcomed.



So now a brief review of a lovely gem of a place which the girls accidentally discovered on 17th Avenue between 4th and 5th street called the European Bakery. Yum, yum, yum. They have this stuff called Burek (which I had never heard of, but now love) which is fantastic - anything savory and pastried, I am in love with. However, I'm sure it's got 5000 calories in a serving. Again, I don't care, and I don't feel guilty eating it because if I enjoy my food, then it's worth it. I really ought to write a diet book called the enjoyment diet. Hmm, I bet it's been done. Anyway, they have Burek, and every kind of pastry imaginable. I also enjoyed an Orangina...







The treasured Burek and Orangina Lunch


The Staff there are fantastic too. They're so nice, and authentically European.

Last but not least, I've been feeling a bit nostalgic (I guess it's to be expected) about my home city. I do complain about it a lot, but the truth is, regardless of how it's changed, it's still the city I grew up in, and there's lots of things I'll miss. I've taken to taking long walks whenever I can. Tonight, I took a highly therapeutic walk practically half way home (which is really quite far) For anyone who knows Calgary I walked from the RRDTC (the old Children's Hospital) down 17th Avenue to 4th Street, up 4th Street to Elbow Drive, walked along the river, and all the way to Chinook Mall and Station. So, that's a pretty far walk, but it was a nice evening, and I need to treasure my time - you know. Anyway, along my walk, I was given a moment to appreciate some of the beauties that God has given us. When I got to the bridge on Elbow Drive near Riverdale, there was a lovely Sunset waiting just for me...



I bet all of those people in a rush to get home in their cars missed it entirely. That's the beauty of walking everywhere, nothing escapes your notice. But, I don't know how anybody could miss that...

No comments: