Pages

Saturday 19 April 2008

Bisphenol A Rant!!!!! (do not read if you don't want to see the angry Becky)


Today's news release from Health Canada can be found here...
Other articles about it have me more than a little concerned. Though it is the concern that comes from knowing something when it's too late.

Globe and Mail
Yahoo Canada News
CTV News
Washington Post

So, some of you may remember my post on the day I replaced my nalgene with a lovely Stainless Steel number which I bought at MEC. Apparently, I should have done that a lot sooner, like perhaps 8 years sooner. It seems ludicrous to think that every person living on the planet ought to sue the idiots that decided that it would be a good idea to put a toxic chemical into everything we eat from, drink from, and live off of; but the idea tempts me a little when I think about how my life could have been a lot different if I had not been hormonally disrupted by bisphenol A. I obviously won't, as seriously - it would be every person on the planet; but I'm really angry after hearing how serious the situation is in today's news. It's been in baby bottles - we're poisoning them at birth. My stupid dental sealants (which my best friend ignorantly convinced me I needed in order to protect my teeth) has it in them. I honestly feel a little violated knowing that it is permanently planted in my mouth. (I wonder if my dentist can remove them? - doubtful) Also, it makes me think about all those young, healthy patients we had on the Urology unit that came in because they needed their testicle removed due to cancer. Healthy young men in the prime of life - they eat healthy, they exercise, they do everything they should - probably drinking lots of water out of their stupid Nalgene Water Bottles which took over for the Lexan milk bottles which their mothers ignorantly fed them from. There were some who didn't make it. There's more cancer than ever out there. I don't know one person who hasn't been affected by it. I myself lost 2 loved ones in the last 3 years to it (I miss you Gram and Speedy). Where is all this cancer coming from? Well, we know that smoking causes cancer, and unhealthy living (bad diet and lack of exercise), even alcohol intake leads to cancer, and of course, NOW we know that Bisphenol A causes cancer. What else are we being poisoned with unknowingly? Who flipping knows? This is why I've started eating organic. You know, besides the cancer, this toxin has done more damage than people are aware. Did you know... (I've blogged about it before, so if you've read them, then you know) that 10% of women in the world suffer from a disease called Polycystic Ovaries Syndrome? More women than ever in the history of the world. I myself am a victim, and do you know why now? Because of hormone disrupters like Bisphenol A, and who knows what else out there in the environment?! Life could have been so much easier had I not had to suffer through it, but I did, and you know the truth is, I'm stronger for it, and now am trying to reverse the symptoms; but it leaves me with a little bit of anger inside thinking that someone somewhere knew what this would do, and probably didn't care enough because they knew they could make a lot of money from a plastic that was hard and "unbreakable" in nature. Grrrr, I curse you and people like you - the conspiring men who make our lives difficult because of the love of filthy lucre. I know - this is the angry side of me that most people don't get to see, but it's there, and it's fierce, and if those conspiring men were standing in front of me right now, there's no telling what I might do to them. Enough of angry Becky. Avoid plastic period (if possible), but more than any other - avoid the dreaded (7) and (3) type plastic. (Look on the bottom of your containers)


This video deserves a revisit. It's very liberating to watch.

By the way, here is the American Chemistry Council's response to Health Canada's announcement today. Note that this is the industry association that represents Bisphenol A manufacturers, and that no Bisphenol A is made in Canada.

No comments: