Pages

Saturday 31 January 2009

Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies, ABBA, and Moshpits of One





*UNHEALTHY FOOD WARNING*

What do these three things have in common - you're asking yourself? Haha. Tonight I re-enacted a tradition that has been carried on for - oh - about 18 years or so...

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
(MADE FAMOUS BY BECKY AND ANGEL WHILST MOSHING TO ABBA)

Technically, you can't mosh with 2 people, but we tried anyway. Since I did not have my best friend here to mosh with, I tried it out on my own whilst listening to Abba. It pretty much was just me jumping up and down. For those of you who are either too young or too old to know what moshing is, it was something we did in the '90s - where large groups of young people would gather and listen to loud, obnoxious grunge rock music and bash about at random - pretty much beating each other up on the dance floor. I think Angel and I just realy enjoyed the pushing about and bashing bit. (crazy kids) For some reason, we always chose to bake our famous Chocolate Chip Cookies and listen to Abba whilst doing so. As I am typing this, I am still listening to Abba. Ah, good memories; the simplicity of youth. I bet nobody in the entire world has that sort of tradition. That's special - that is. I bet she continues on the tradition - even now - with her kids. I shall have to ask her later. The recipe is simple, and NOT healthy, but the secret is - MILK chocolate chips. You can use whatever chips you want, but tradition calls for Milk. If you have a mother that grew up during World War 2 and rationing, then you may have an entire freezer full of Milk Chocolate Chips - simply because she can. Sometimes we wouldn't even make the cookies, but go to the freezer - where we were absolutely certain to find them and eat whole bags of Chipits Milk Chocolate Chips. (this is likely how I wound up at 270 lbs) The best part was that Mum always thought she was being so sneaky - hiding them in the freezer, when we always knew they were there, and ate them all the time. So fun.

Anyway, here is the sacred recipe. I now share it with the world to enjoy and mosh and listen to Abba at will...

1 Cup Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar
½ Cup White Sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt
2 ¼ Cup Flour
1 Bag of Chipits Milk Chocolate Chips (I obviously couldn't get chipits, so I used Dr. Oetker - :( )

Cream Butter and Sugars together
Add Eggs and Vanilla – mix well
Add Soda and Salt – mix well
Add Flour and thoroughly blend
Fold in Chips

Drop 1 inch bits of batter on an ungreased baking sheet
Bake at 350 ° Fahrenheit (or 175 degrees celsius) for 10 minutes
Let cool on cooling rack. Cookies will settle down as they cool.

Eat and Share :-)
Then Mosh to Abba.

Makes 2 and a half dozen.

Oh don't you worry, I won't be eating them all myself, I'll probably take them to church tomorrow and try to push most of them on my friends. It was just the tradition I was looking for really. Though, the batter was so very very tasty in bits.

*AMENDMENT* - Angel would like me to point out that it was all in the mixing. We often noted that. (it was her job - haha - that's evidently why I forgot)

Other news - I found candied ginger - finally!!!! They hide it in the baked goods section at Tesco's. Imagine, a candy as wonderful as crystallized ginger - hidden away in the corner at baked goods. Oh how happy it made me to find it. Also, after 8 weeks of waiting, 3 of my 6 boxes which I sent arrived today. I still have 24 more to send off to myself, but I'll get them - one at a time.

2 comments:

B said...

I love ABBA. I've got my own memories that are tied to them. Just you talking about your memory made me think of mine. Thanks for sending me back.

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

Becky -- your blog is delightful! I loved this post - and think you lead a hugely exciting life! Thx for sharing. (I used to try to mosh a bit back in the day! haha)