Pages

Saturday 3 January 2009

The Plan For The Last 20 - Written Out


So, yes I have written out my resolutions for 2009. The first one - of course - being on my mind as I rolled away from the Dinner Table has to do with weight loss and general Health, the second one had to do with careers and finances, and the third one was personal - sound familiar? These are likely the same sorts of resolutions that people all over the world have written up for themselves, and write every year. I'm not going to bore you with my financial goals, but here in detail for those of you who are trying to get in shape are my plans to remove the last 20 pounds of excess fat from my body...

As many of you know - I have lost 100 odd pounds over the last 3 years. The truth is - it's a lot easier to lose 100 pounds than it is to lose 20. Your body knows it shouldn't have 100 extra pounds on it, so when you make efforts to lose it, your body complies - in stages of loss and plateau. When I weighed myself last at Junes (after the feasting) I was at about 173. I don't actually own a scale at the moment, but will have to purchase one. My initial goal when I went on this journey of weight loss was 150, and I never did reach it. The best I got to was 160. So, because it's a new year, and a new beginning, I have decided that this is it - I WILL lose 20 pounds, and I will reach my goal of 150 pounds. I have decided it, and therefore it will happen. It will happen because of what I will do to make it happen.

Here in detail is what I will do to make it happen, and if you want to, you can follow my outline with your own variations of what you are comfortable with...

EXERCISE

- 3 times a week - 1 hour of Yoga
- 2 times a week - 30 minutes of Running (don't worry Marsha, I'll do intervals)
- 2 times a week - TKO class/Keep Fit class at local Library
- Walking/Biking to get everywhere for Transportation (this one's also financial - 2 purposes)

DIET

- Eat 3 meals a day at meal times (this is really important for metabolism) with healthy snacks when hungry.
- Light meal for Dinner (example - toast and eggs, or salad, or cereal)
- Front load calories (Dayna's term) - Have most of my calories during the am - because in reality you need more calories to get through the day, and virtually none to get you through sleep - and you really don't want those extra calories sitting there when you do go to sleep because it just gets stored to fat. Don't be afraid to go to bed hungry - it's actually better in my opinion.
- Get plenty of Fibre and Essential Fatty Acids - Fibre and EFA's carry out excess Hormones and also lowers LDL levels. Excess hormones often are the problem with women trying to lose weight - a lot of women (like me) are Insulin Resistant which makes it harder to metabolize food.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day - flushing toxins and keeping hydrated is really important and also aids in digestion.
- Gum Chewing also can't hurt in aiding digestion in my opinion - I don't know if there's any scientific proof of that, but I find it helps me.
- Get the daily requirement of 5 fruit and veg a day (in fact more is helpful) - this also adds to fibre intake.

So that's everything I can think of at the moment to do for accomplishing my goals. Remember when making your own goals to make them realistic. For me - these requirements are not that far off of what I do already so it's not that much of a stretch for me. A week and a half of being idle and eating lots of food that I don't normally has made me a bit rusty, but the body has an excellent memory, and everything should jump back into routine soon-ish. So, good luck friends - let's get at it. Wish me luck. I'm back onto weighing - once I buy a scale.

2 comments:

Evil Little Pixie 79 said...

Good luck with your goals! I have about 20lbs left to lose too, but I have not done as well as you, it took me 6 months to drop 15. Hope you are enjoying your new country, it is so easy to get exercise there because you walk or bike everywhere! I do miss that part of the U.K.

M. said...

i like your approach to weight loss, and i agree about front loading, i think it's something that everyone should change you really do need most of your calories at the beginning of the day! :) how about measuring yourself in stones? i always liked the lower numbers! lol. p.s. the yellow font, is a little harsh on my old eyes. haha... just saying, not critisizing!