Pages

Wednesday 4 February 2009

"Fight or Flight", Hills, and My Massive Thunder Thighs...


I think this is my problem...

http://www.advance-health.com/cortisol.html

It's either cortisol over-production, due to the "fight or flight" response being overactive; or mass muscle growth, combined with other hormonal imbalances. Freaking Hormones...

Men have it so easy, all they have to do is eat less and exercise. With us, it's some sort of battle, it's like - our bodies want us to retain fat. Likely they do. Something about reproduction or the like. I think all of the mass hill walking I'm doing to and from work every day combined with my slightly increased appetite (normal food, just increased slightly) has made it extra difficult for me to lose weight, and in fact, I am gaining it. Gaaah!!!! I mean, I'm not giving up the hill walking. I love my therapeutic walks to and from work, and being a Dundonian and all of that. I love it. Plus, eventually, it has to work in my favor right? I mean, I feel great otherwise... just heavy. Why does it always have to be an uphill battle for me? Right, just venting, but as you can see, (at the right) I've decided to ignore my scale. I suppose I shall have to live with my thunder thighs for now. My trousers are tighter and everything. I would take a picture, but I'm sure you don't want to see my huge tree-trunk thighs. Remember when I was biking 40 km to and from work? That didn't last long either, mainly because of the same reason - concern that if I continued, I might develop massive thighs. Well, I'm not giving up my hills. It's healthy, it's cheap travel (free travel), and it's therapeutic. So, I suppose I shall have to learn to live with it and stop complaining.

Perhaps I should take the perspective of this Nike ad on...

3 comments:

Katie Ryan (Osmer) said...

True that sister. All men have to do is think about losing weight and they drop 10 lbs! EGAT! So not fair! (ok my temper tantrum is done) Maybe you're just gaining muscle though?? Have you taken your measurements in awhile? Just a thought. ;) Love ya oodles

B said...

Just my tid bit, but you are active, you are leading a healthy lifestyle, so who cares what the scale is telling you? I'm thrilled you've given it the boot, even if it is just for a while or so. And, I'm glad you're not giving up hills. What they do for your heart is way better than the cons to rock hard thighs.

I've seen that ad before, and I love it. I love all those Nike ads they've got along those lines because they really nailed it. It's about health, not size.

kaly said...

So true, B. It's about health, not size! You are getting your exercise and eating healthy!
I love that Nike ad!