Pages

Monday 24 May 2010

Prayers Please...


Sorry I didn't get a chance to blog yesterday... it was a busy week-end as it turns out. It was just what I needed though. I had a very good visit with my Andy. It was a short visit, but productive. :-)

Plus, my mind has been on other things...

Thursday morning I logged onto facebook, and read my little brother's status which went like so... "mmm just got home a little while ago and just missed parents. message from mom about hospital and dad, crap." I wrote him a message asking him to expound on that, but with no response. So, all day Thursday I was thinking about this in the back of my mind. Then, when I got home, there was a message on my phone from my Mum.

What happened was that my Dad had a stroke. He's never had a stroke before, but he has eaten a fried English Breakfast almost every day I can remember for his entire life. He would dispute that, but it's true. Any of my siblings would say the same. Fried Bacon, fried eggs, chips, fried mushroom, fried tomato, rashers, sometimes beans. So, I guess it finally caught up with him.

What they found from the tests, is that if he hadn't had this little stroke, he would have had a much bigger stroke in a week's time that could have been much more detrimental, possibly fatal. They found that he has 77% blockage in his carotid artery. Which means - that tomorrow he has to go in and have surgery. What they're going to do is go into his artery from his groin, and pump a balloon up that has a stent around it to open up the artery again. Obviously this is a risky procedure, but leaving it the way it is with no procedure at all is far more risky.

I've spoken to a couple of people since this happened who have had the same procedure, and they say that they are fine, and that it was the best thing they could have done. This brought me some comfort. Also, Andy was a big comfort to me on Friday and Saturday. It has been hard though, being so far away and not knowing exactly what is going on, and not being with him. In the past, whenever something like this has happened, I've been the one to be there with them, and make sure everything is alright. But, my sister is there, and my 2 brothers. Also, the Relief Society at church, and my parents' Bishop have been a support. So, that brings some re-assurance.

So, the reason I am writing all of this, and laying out the personal details about my family drama is because I would like to ask anyone out there who knows us and loves us, (or maybe doesn't know us at all but can relate) to offer up your prayers for my Dad that his surgery will go well tomorrow. Whatever your faith, or even if you have no faith, if you can - please spare a thought or two, or a prayer for my Dad and family. I would very much appreciate that.

1 comment:

kaly said...

Just reading this today, Becky. I hope things went well.