Pages

Sunday 11 April 2010

My Yorkshire Holiday...

I feel well and truly relaxed today... I guess that's a sign of having had a good holiday. I think I was in need of a good holiday. I was all stressed and grouchy, but no longer. Life is good.

Ok, well from my Twitter updates, I'm sure you've gathered that I didn't entirely stick to the diet while on holiday... in fact - I didn't stick to it at all. I had Fish & Chips 3 times while in Yorkshire! 3 times! Don't ask me why - I have no idea really - but I think that F&C are maybe - better in Yorkshire? I know that all of my Scottish friends are going to protest to that comment, but I don't know what it is - it tastes different down there. Also, the claim seems ludicrous considering that according to some or other chippy experts extraordinaire who have had F&C literally all over the country - the BEST F&C in the entire UK are found in Anstruther which is a mere 30 minute drive from where I live - here in Dundee. I mean - even Prince William gives that one his thumbs up. I think - maybe it was the fact that I was on holiday - and you know - everything you eat on holiday is calorie free... or at least that's what you keep telling yourself - though your body says something else entirely when it's all finished. I had F&C, Chocolate of all manner - egg shaped...



My Aunty bought me some Easter candy... because she loves me. :-) <3

Also, I ate - just about anything that came across my path really. Including this lovely Proper Yorkshire Sunday Dinner...



Just like my Mum used to make. :-) Only this one was made by Gary. Thanks Gary. :-) I mean - just LOOK at these delicious Yorkshire Puddings the man made. I was supposed to say that Sara made them, but I cannot tell a lie - it was all Gary - bless him.



So, yesterday and today, I've been eating according to the diet, and it's amazing really how much better I feel when I eat healthy. However, when you're on holiday you can really only eat what you're given, and enjoy yourself. :-) I certainly did enjoy myself. I had visits with family members, and a special friend who came to Leeds to see me... it was just really enjoyable overall. :-)

One really interesting (historical) thing I was able to see was "Temple Newsam" which is a very old estate in Leeds that was mentioned in the Domesday book... Uncle Arthur, Aunty Rosalie and I toured it - it was fascinating. One of it's many claims to fame is that it was the Birthplace of Lord Darnley - who was the husband of Mary - Queen of Scots, and the Father of King James the VI of Scotland, and I of England. It was also once the home of Lord Darcy - who led the Pilgrimage of Grace against Henry VIII and his dissolution of the Yorkshire Abbeys and Monasteries which made Henry a VERY wealthy King.





(that's my Uncle Arthur in the courtyard of Temple Newsam - I tell you at times it was just like my Dad was right there with me)

I also was able to take a day and visit the ancient city of York - which was absolutely fabulous! Katie and I walked along the walls, and saw a bit of the old city. Including this fabulous little street called "The Shambles" - which Steve had told me about, so I really wanted to see it...



It's like walking into Diagon Alley! It's the cutest little street in the world! All of the shops are really quaint, and the buildings seem to be leaning towards each other. Totally cool place! We went into York Minster, but alas - the religious minds of the day seem to think it's ok to charge people 8.POUNDS. just to take a look at the place - so umm, we gave that a miss. I kid you not - £8!!! ... to tour a religious building. Granted, it is a very famous and interesting religious building - but um - most churches let you tour for free - or at the very most a donation. I would have been happy to pay £3 or £4, but - nope York Minster wants £8!!! Ridiculous. So, we went in, took a few pictures, and turned around again. It really is a beautiful building though...







Here's some of the pics we took whilst in York...



(Katie's chic pose on the wall)



(my attempt at looking Chic on the wall comes out looking rather special...)

I feel very well rested, and very blessed to have been able to spend Easter break with my family here in the UK. I think sometimes I get caught up in life, and forget who I am, and where I came from - so this was an opportunity for me to get in touch with my roots a bit... to close - here's some pics of Otley and surrounding countryside to give you a taste of some of Yorkshire's beauty.







No comments: