Pages

Sunday 27 January 2008

Parental Drama!!!




So, my parents - bless them have yet again gotten into a bit of trouble. They're 75 and 74 now, and it seems like every other week there's some new drama to deal with regarding them because they're getting old, and because I live with them and am responsible for them, I'm always the one who ends up taking care of - whatever situation comes up. Yesterday they went shopping (always shopping) and they got into a car accident (pretty bad one) because Dad turned when he shouldn't have. They were taken to the hospital via ambulance and as it turns out - Dad dislocated a finger (which popped back) and now has a bit of a puffy hand. Mum on the other hand had some serious seatbelt bruising throughout her chest (better that then being splattered all over the pavement, so always take the seatbelt bruises over no seatbelt) She's pretty sore, but overall they'll live. The car is totalled. I have a feeling though that this means the end of Dad's driving days. This also means that I am going to be doing most of the driving for them wherever they need to go. I'm happy to help them, but at the same time, I feel sad for them and their loss of independence. Anyone who knows my Mum knows that she is fiercely independent. She's taking the possibility of Dad no longer driving pretty hard. She has stated in the past that she thinks she ought to go out and get her license. (SHE'S 74 FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!) I really don't think that's going to happen, as she gets a bit confused as it is from time to time and has pretty bad short-term memory loss. Along with the parental drama, I have to take Dad to his Lithotripsy on Tuesday to get his 16 mm kidney stone blasted. He's been carrying this thing around for months, and keeps passing small bits of it that break off from time to time. He doesn't bother to tell anyone about these passings until after they have passed. I do wish they'd be more sensible, but what can I do? Mum's knees are recovering fairly well. She had both knees replaced with prosthetic this past year. She had a small incident where she twisted one of them while still recovering, but that is all ok now. She's just recovering from this recent accident now. What to do with these two? Any advice people? I guess there's nothing really except to deal with one thing at a time day to day and encourage my siblings to help out more. They would you know, it's just that I'm here, and responsible, and single, and have no family of my own. Not that I'm bitter about that, but it does get to be a bit much some times. Ah well, these are the days of my life.

No comments: